When a couple with a child(ren) decides to separate or divorce, the party who has physical custody of the child majority of the time (i.e. the custodial parent) may be entitled to receive child support from the child’s other parent (i.e. the noncustodial parent). While a child support arrangement can be made between the two parties, the agreement cannot be enforced unless:

  1. The individual seeking the support has requested it be awarded to them through the court.
  2. The parent filed an application with a County Department of Human Resources in Alabama.


When a parent in Alabama files a request or application for child support, a number of factors must be considered before any amount of support is awarded. Some factors that will be taken into account when establishing how much a parent should receive for child support include:

  • Each parties’ income.
  • Medical costs
  • Child-care costs
  • Custody


Once it is established that a parent is entitled to receive child support, a child support order shall be issued. A child support order outlines how much a parent is required to pay their child’s other parent and how often payments must be made. Unlike a verbal agreement made between two parties, a child support order can be enforced by the court. In fact, if a parent fails to follow the guidelines outlined in their child support order, they could face serious consequences such as having their income tax refund intercepted or going to jail.


Under what conditions can a child support order be modified in Alabama?


Once a child support order has been issued, the court does allow it to be changed when any of the following circumstances exist:

  • One or both of the parents’ financial situation has changed.
  • The child support order no longer needs the needs of the child.
  • A provision for medical support needs to be added.
  • Either parents’ circumstances have dramatically changed.

[Source: Alabama Department of Human Resources].


How to file a request for a child support order in Alabama?


Any parent who is looking to file a request with the court to obtain a child support order should contact Hill, Gossett, Kemp & Hufford, P.C. for assistance. The Alabama child support attorneys at this firm can help a parent gather and fill out the paperwork that must be filed with the court, assist them with gathering documentation that establishes a need for support, and more. If a parent has a question concerning applying for child support or would like an Alabama child support attorney to help them file a request, they can contact Hill, Gossett, Kemp & Hufford, P.C. at any one of their office locations listed down below.


Disclaimer: No representation is made that quality of legal services provided is greater than the quality of legal services provided by other attorneys.


Hill, Gossett, Kemp & Hufford, P.C. can be reached at:


Moody Office

2603 Moody Parkway, Suite 200

Moody, Alabama 35004

Phone: (205) 640-2000

Website: www.hwhlawgroup.com


Leeds Office

7900 Parkway Drive

Leeds, AL 35094

Phone: (205) 699-5500


Springville Office

6441 U.S. Highway 11

Springville, Alabama 35146

Phone: (205) 467-2225

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *