St. Petersburg, FL – An order to pay child support is legally binding on a parent and it is an obligation that needs to be taken seriously. Technology has made it more convenient for one parent to pay child support to the other, without having to physically give the money to them by sending a check or cash. 

Government mechanisms to collect and distribute money 

Child support collection and enforcement is handled by the Florida Department of Revenue. In most cases, the department sends an order to the person’s employer, and the support amount is automatically deducted from their pay, then redistributed to the parent with custody of the child. Certain individuals who are self-employed or work for the government may have to send the required amount directly to the department of revenue before it can be redistributed. Any parent having issues with the administrative process to send the payments should contact the department immediately. 

When a parent is not making their payments

The state has certain ways that they essentially force a parent to pay their child support if they are not doing so as required by a valid court order. Some kind of formal notice will be given to the person once payments are late, and they will have a chance to comply with the order to stay current on their obligations. The department can also force an in person meeting to explain their payments and potential consequences of not paying. If these steps fail, the parent may have their driver’s license or other professional licenses that are necessary to work suspended. The department can also forcefully garnish wages, place a lien on a vehicle, and report the unpaid amounts as a delinquent account to credit bureaus. The last step of enforcement is to place the person in contempt of the court order, which can result in jail time. 

Child support services from a lawyer

If someone needs to have their payments modified because they are having trouble meeting their expenses, they should contact an attorney as soon as possible. There generally needs to be some kind of evidence of changed circumstances, otherwise the court will say that the parent needs to pay the amount already in place in the order. Legal help is crucial for anyone attempting to persuade a judge to change a valid child support order

Help from family law attorneys in Florida

The Law Offices of Yeazell and Sweet assist people in the St. Petersburg area with child support issues, custody hearings, divorces, and other family law problems. Potential clients can schedule an initial meeting with the firm to learn more about their services. 

Firm contact info:

The Law Offices of Yeazell and Sweet 

1901 Ulmerton Road, Suite 435, Clearwater, FL 33762 


0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *