If a non-custodial parent has been ordered by the court to pay child support during a divorce and he/she refuses to pay, there are several methods the State of Alabama may use to enforce the order. For instance, a court or administrative order could require the non-custodial parent’s employer to deduct the child support payments from his/her earnings. If a parent would like to learn more about how they can obtain such an order to recoup the child support they were supposed to receive, they should contact an Alabama child support lawyer.

A few of the other methods the State of Alabama may use to enforce court-ordered child support payments include:


  1. Reporting the non-custodial parent to credit bureaus.

If a non-custodial parent falls behind more than $1,000 on child support, the Alabama Department of Human Resourcessays this information will automatically be submitted to credit reporting agencies. Once the balance is paid in full, credit reporting agencies shall be notified of this. However, the debt will remain on a non-custodial parent’s credit report for seven years even after it has been paid in full.


  1. The non-custodial parent’s debt is reported to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

When a parent owed back support, the State can report the parent to the IRS. Generally, the State will do this when the back support is at least $150 if the child receives Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or $500 if the child does not. Once a parent’s back support is reported to the IRS, it can then deduct the amount owed from the parent’s federal or state tax refund and paid to the family or state, whichever it is owed to.


  1. Passport denial.

When a non-custodial parents’ back support reaches an amount that exceeds $2,500, they could potentially lose their passport privileges or their request for a passport may be denied.


  1. A lien or levy may be placed on bank accounts.

If a non-custodial parent who has not paid child support is connected to a financial institution (i.e. a bank), a lien or levy could be placed on their account. This means the agency looking to collect the debt could potentially have the back support withdrawn from the account.


Parents in Alabama who are obligated to pay child support but refuse to do so should be held accountable. It is the duty of both of a child’s parents to provide for them financially so that their needs are met. If a parent in Alabama is not receiving their child support payments or is having difficulty collecting them on time, they should contact Hill, Gossett, Kemp & Hufford, P.C. to speak with an Alabama child support attorney. The AL child support lawyers at Hill, Gossett, Kemp & Hufford, P.C. are skilled in all areas of family law and are qualified to help a parent enforce a child custody order. 


Disclaimer: No representation is made that quality of legal services provided is greater than the quality of legal services provided by other attorneys.


Hill, Gossett, Kemp & Hufford, P.C. can be reached at:


Moody Office

2603 Moody Parkway, Suite 200

Moody, Alabama 35004

Phone: (205) 640-2000

Website: www.hwhlawgroup.com


Leeds Office

7900 Parkway Drive

Leeds, AL 35094

Phone: (205) 699-5500


Springville Office

6441 U.S. Highway 11

Springville, Alabama 35146

Phone: (205) 467-2225

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *